Museum Tucher Mansion –
Courtyard and Renaissance Garden
The Tucher Mansion was built in 1533-44 by the Tucher Partician family, as a summer residence with service buildings on a garden plot on Treibberg, in the north-eastern part of the Old Town. It is a sumptuously designed, three-storey sandstone building.
The different styles were supposed to point to the Tuchers’ cosmopolitan spirit. Thus, there are style elements from the late Gothic period, from the Italian Renaissance and from French castle architecture.
Large parts of the building were destroyed by an air raid on 2 January, 1945. Only the western façade to the courtyard up to the second storey, with large parts of the stairwell, the street façade with the sandstone bay window, and the ground-floor vaults remained more or less undamaged. The outbuildings were almost entirely destroyed. The building was reconstructed in reduced form in 1967-69. Since 1998, the Tucher Mansion has been a museum, but is still owned by a Nuremberg branch of the baronial family Tucher von Simmelsdorf. Using the example of the Tucher Family, the museum provides an insight into Nuremberg’s Patrician past.
The gardens on a slope which were created by the Tucher Family during the building of the mansion between 1533 and 1533, will be have been both a kitchen and a decorative garden. When the gardens were redesigned, the task was to create a meaningful and harmonious link to the (newly reconstructed) Hirsvogel Hall and to merge elements of a historical Renaissance garden with contemporary garden culture. Generous stairs and terraces determine the image and the structure of the gardens, with pergolas, clipped hedges and a clear structure of paths. The result was a “green oasis” for city dwellers and tourists in the middle of Nuremberg’s university district. In 2004, the garden design was honoured with the City of Nuremberg’s Architecture Award.
The gardens contain a new building. It houses the elaborately restored and reconstructed interior of the Hirsvogel Hall which had been destroyed during the war and which had been situated nearby (Hirschelgasse 21). It was a Renaissance banqueting hall, created by Nuremberg sculptor, Peter Flötner, with a ceiling painting by Georg Pencz. It is considered one of the most beautiful creations of the German early Renaissance, and was newly opened in 2000, in the specially created building.
Usable floor space in Hirsvogel Hall about 95 square metres
Measurements: length 94,74m x width 6,25 m
Power Supply: several SCHUKO-type German standard electrical sockets
Access during Blue Night: via museum entrance, Hirschelgasse 9-11
Proprietor: City of Nuremberg
Foto: Jens Liebenberg